- About Us
- Jr. Act-So
Music Instrumental (Classical)
The art of performing with a device used to produce music with tones of the late 18th and 19th centuries characterized by an emphasis on balance, clarity, and moderation.
- The musical selection must be one specifically written for solo performances. The performance may be an excerpt and may not exceed five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirements are subject to point deduction.)
- Contestants must PRESENT six (6) copies of the sheet music to the judges at the time of competition.
- If the selection chosen is written with piano accompaniment, it must be performed in that manner. Contestants must provide their own accompaniment
- The composition to be performed must be consistent with the nature of the instrument and the level of musical proficiency of the performer.
- The selection of music and instrument is solely the decision of the contestant.
- The only instrument provided for the performances will be a piano.
NOTE: The deadline for submission of National registration documents is the first Friday in May. No materials or copies will b e accepted at the National Competition.
Contestants Will Be Judged By The Following Criteria:
- Interpretation, Expression, Tempo, Phrasing, and Historically appropriate style (20 pts.)
- Intonation and touch (piano) (20 pts.)
- Stage presence, choice of music (20 pts.)
- Technique, articulation, Breathing, Rhythm, Facility and Accuracy (20 pts.)
- Tone quality, Beauty, Control, Characteristic timbre (20 pts.)